Studio Art and Technology Minor
Get your vision across
Visual platforms transcend language, resonating across the widest audiences. Get your message to the masses by becoming an effective visual communicator, combining traditional foundations of art with the digital techniques of the here and now.
From basic drawing techniques to web page design and layout, learn to combine media, development, and artistic skills to broaden your communications knowledge and impact. The Studio Art and Technology minor, offered jointly through the IU Herron School of Art and Design and the IU School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI, offers a unique combination of courses from Media Arts and Science, Fine Arts and Visual Communication Design.
Art … at the speed of media and tech
Tap into the power of art fueled by emerging technologies. Students earning a Bachelor of Science in Media Arts and Science through SOIC will learn to become proficient in a broad range of skills related to:
- Drawing and sculpture techniques
- Design thinking
- Artistic and visual forms
- Visual communication design
These skills will complement your work in digital media design and production through the Media Arts and Science program.
Where do you want to go?
Strengthen your traditional art skills to amplify your digital portfolio and demo reel for careers that can include:
- Art director
- Media strategy
- User interface design
18 credit hours are required for this minor, which is only open to students majoring in Media Arts and Science.
- HER-E 101 Beginning Drawing (or D101 Drawing 1)
- HER-E 102 Beginning Drawing 2 (or D102 Drawing 2)
- HER-S 201 Sculpture I
Choose one of the following:
- NEWM-N 201 Design Issues in Digital Media (may be counted as a general education course in the Arts and Humanities)
- NEWM-N 215 Intermediate Multi-Device Web Development (Prerequisite: N115)
- NEWM-N 243 Introduction to 3D
- NEWM-N 253 Introduction to Digital Video
- NEWM-N 255 Introduction to Digital Sound
Choose two of the following:
- HER-D 251 Anatomy for Artists
- HER-Q 261 Introduction to CNC
- HER-V 201 Making Meaning
- HER-D 230 Figure Drawing
- HER-V 211 Typography
- HER-V 311 Type and Image (HER-V 211 is prerequisite)