Health Information Management B.S. + Health Informatics M.S.
Use Big Data to solve big problems in health care
You can bring order out of chaos to improve the patient experience.
Become an agent for positive change, developing the skills to analyze and protect vital medical information. Help to make the delivery of health care more efficient when you complete your Bachelor of Science degree in Health Information Management (HIM) and master’s degree in Health Informatics through the IU School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI.
“Informatics students don’t just manage the data. They look at the process.”
Jayanth Kumar Medam, Health Informatics graduate student
How it works
You’ll apply for the accelerated program in the sixth semester of your B.S. or when you have successfully completed your first five semesters—75 credit hours—with a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.25 or higher. The School of Informatics and Computing will waive all application fees.
Bachelor and master degrees are conferred independently.
Plan of Study
The plan of study follows the Health Information Management plan of study for years 1-3. Students begin taking graduate level courses during year 4 as follows:
Fall Semester Senior Year
- HIM-M 425 Quantitative Analysis of Health Information
- HIM-M 443 Professional Practicum in Health Information Management I
- HIM-M 462 Healthcare Quality Improvement
- INFO-B 505 Informatics Project Management
- INFO-B 530 Foundations of Health Informatics
Spring Semester Senior Year
- HIM-M 400 Health Information Research and Analysis Methods
- HIM-M 444 Professional Practicum in Health Information Management II
- HIM-M 490 RHIA Exam Preparation
- INFO-B 535 Clinical Information Systems
- INFO-B 581 Health Informatics Standards and Terminology
Summer 1 before Fifth Year
Fall Semester Fifth Year
- INFO-I 501 Introduction to Informatics
- INFO-B 626 Human Factors Engineering for Health Informatics
- INFO-B 641 Business of Health Informatics or other approved elective