Undergraduate Honors Program
The SOIC Honors Program offers select students across all School of Informatics and Computing majors the opportunity to enroll in a challenging academic program that enhances learning opportunities.
- Increased opportunities to interact with faculty members
- Greater depth of learning in your major through additional challenges
- Enhanced relationships with other motivated, high-achieving students
- Membership in the IUPUI Honors College, access to Honors College advisors, and use of the Honors College facility—which includes dedicated study space, a computer lab, and group-work rooms
- The opportunity to graduate with an honors distinction from IUPUI
To be admitted to the Honors Program, students must:
- Be admitted to the School of Informatics and Computing
- Complete 12 IUPUI GPA hours with at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA
- Complete the SOIC Honors Program application by July 1st
- Have completed no more than 60 credit hours at the time of application
Students will be informed by August 1 if they have been admitted.
To successfully complete the SOIC Honors Program, a student must:
- Maintain a 3.3 GPA
- Complete 24 total honors credit hours (at least 15 of these hours must be in SOIC courses)
All SOIC honors students must complete at least 15 hours of SOIC courses for honors credit. Honors credit for a course can be earned in one of three ways:
- Students can sign up for courses with a designated “H” section, which signifies honors course.
- Faculty may add an honors component to their course syllabi, listing the additional requirements for those students taking the course for honors credit. SOIC courses being taken for honors credit will include additional requirements beyond those in the regular course offering. Examples of additional requirements include:
- A major paper not required in the regular course.
- Additional or different questions on exams. These questions may cover additional material or require mastery of material beyond the level required in the regular course.
- Other additional assignments not required in the regular course.
- Should an honors component be missing from a syllabus, students can submit honors contracts for courses they want to complete for honors credit.
For more information about the SOIC Honors Program, please contact Melinda McCormick at email@example.com.