LIS Student Travel Grant
The Department of Library and Information Science is pleased to provide travel grants in the amount of $500 each, for four grants per year.
The goal of these travel grants is to support professional development and engagement. The best choices will introduce you to your local professional network.
Applicants must meet these criteria:
- Completed 9 or more graduate credits in the MLS program.
- GPA of 3.5 or above
- Member of the organization that hosts the conference, e.g. a state library association or national association; student-level membership is sufficient.
Applications are due and awards will be announced twice yearly, on this schedule:
|Application due||Award announced||To be spent|
|September 30||October 5||November-May|
|January 15||January 20||February – September|
Send an email listing your qualifications and your plans to: email@example.com
Among applicants, priority will be given to:
- Major conferences (annual state library associations, PLA, ACRL, SLA, SAA)
- Clear description of how the conference and its activities fit into the applicant’s professional development
- The applicant does not need to be a presenter. The goal of this attendance is not to learn or to teach specific skills, but to participate in the culture and self-governance of professionals. Applicant should be specific about the networking and collaboration opportunities that the conference will provide.
Recipients will submit a report plus photos for LIS / SoIC news on their experiences and advice for future students.
- This is not to be applied to the Indiana Library Federation annual conference. The LIS department offers 8 scholarships to this event and will announce that in October.
- Students who have a paper or poster accepted at a conference, as first author, can apply for IUPUI Graduate Office Travel Fellowships.
These grants are made possible by IU Foundation funds, the result of annual fundraising from alumni and others. As you, alumni, are successful and contribute back to LIS, we can expand this and other opportunities for students.