Probation, Dismissal, and Readmission Policy for Undergraduate Students

Effective fall 2020

Academic Probation

A student whose semester[1] or cumulative grade point average (GPA) falls below 2.0 will be placed on academic probation for the following semester. A hold will be placed on the student’s record, and the student will be required to meet with an academic advisor prior to registration.


A student whose semester or cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 upon completion of the probationary semester will be dismissed from the program.

First-Semester Student Dismissal

A student who fails to attain in the first semester a GPA of at least 1.5 will be dismissed from the program unless the student promptly completes an assessment.


Students who are dismissed for the first time must sit out for at least one semester and petition by the established deadlines to be eligible for readmission. Students dismissed more than once may not be readmitted. Readmitted students may only begin in the fall or spring semester.

Grade Replacement Policy for Undergraduate Students

The grade replacement is not available for graduate students or to students seeking a second undergraduate degree. It may be used for at most 15 credit hours, no more than twice for a given course, with each attempted replacement counting toward the 15 credit hour limit. Any grade may be replaced with the last grade earned for the course, as long as the most recent grade is equal to or higher than the grade being replaced. The replaced grade will then be excluded from the cumulative GPA. However, the course listing and the replaced grade will remain on the student’s academic record with an “X” notation.

The policy became effective from the fall 1996 semester, and any courses being used to replace an earlier grade must have been taken in the fall of 1996 or later. Grades previously granted FX will be honored and will count toward the 15 credit hour limit. Once granted for a given course, a student may not subsequently request reversal of the grade replacement. Please see your academic advisor to discuss grade replacement and obtain a form. For more information about the policy, visit

[1] Throughout this document semester means fall or spring semester only.