Documenting Historical Cultural Artifacts and Traditions in Paros, Greece
This program is next scheduled to run in Summer 2022.
This is an international service-learning course that takes place on the Greek island of Paros.
Service projects will include, but are not limited to:
- Producing promotional videos for local tourism; documentary videos of disappearing island lifestyles, cultural and archeological sites; producing 3D graphical recreations of archeological locations.
- Classroom work will include work on documenting cultural artifacts and historical sites, strategies for the local service learning projects and review of work in progress.
- Classroom experiences will be supplemented by required afternoon or evening field trips to experience museums, churches, archeological sites, contemporary art galleries, and cultural events on Paros.
- Working with local residents, Innovaros and Parosweb.com.
Our work in Paros has involved producing promotional videos, documenting cultural and architectural sites, and producing 3D recreations of archaeological sites.
- Monastery of Agios Antonios
- Krispis Mansion
- St. Nicolas Church
- Holy Trinity
- Church of Taxiarchis
- Yria Ceramics
The study abroad in Greece program is open to all students, although priority will be given to students who have completed their sophomore year.
- University student in good standing, with minimum GPA 2.75.
- Knowledge of digital storytelling, video documentation techniques and editing, 3D modeling, texturing and animation.
- Priority will be given to students majoring in media arts and science and informatics and participants should have the basic knowledge of Photoshop, Adobe Premier or Final Cut Pro, and Autodesk Maya.
Complete eligibility criteria and selection criteria are outlined within the Academic Policies and Procedures of the Office of Study Abroad. Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriateness of match between program and applicant. Students on academic or disciplinary probation during program period are not eligible. Students must be at least 18 years old to participate on an IUPUI Study Abroad Program.
IUPUI scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs. (Performance scholarships, Guaranteed Tuition certificates, fee courtesies, Indiana Higher Education Awards, and awards to children of disabled veterans not applicable.)
Samantha Hale Study Abroad Scholarship
- Visit One.IU
- Complete the general application
- Search for “SoIC” and find the Samantha “Sam” Hale Study Abroad Scholarship