Associate Faculty in Applied Data and Information Science
The Department of Library and Information Science at the School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI seeks Associate Faculty for several undergraduate courses in the area of Applied Data and Information Science, beginning with the fall semester 2018. This program prepares undergraduate students for a data-driven workforce and society and aims to teach data curation, management, and representation, while addressing social and technical implications.
We are currently recruiting for Associate Faculty who would be interested in teaching undergraduate courses in the following subjects:
Introduction to Data Studies
This class introduces digital literacies. Students explore the production of data; their roles as data creators and consumers; and the effects of data practices on society.
Data Representation and Organization
This course introduces approaches for organizing and representing data and information. Students learn the principles of data organization, documentation, description, and classification.
This course covers information representation in computer systems. Topics include relational databases, database design, data extraction from JSON and XML and their use for transmitting objects between browser and server.
Through lecture, reading, discussion, computer lab exercises, and projects, students will become more proficient with data-related terminology, techniques and technologies. Course delivery is flexible (online, hybrid, or face-to-face) depending on the course and semester.
Duties include the following
- Prepare and deliver lectures over a 15-week period on course content as outlined in the syllabus to meet course objectives
- Administer and grade assessments of student learning outcomes, such as assignments and exams
- Encourage student progress and retention, informing the department chair of any concerns, while maintaining a welcoming and inclusive learning environment
- Invite and arrange periodic guest lectures from industry partners to help students prepare for their careers
- Experience in a data-related field
- Careers-related teaching experience
- Strong organizational, motivational, and communication skills
- Master’s degree
Please forward resumes and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The School of Informatics and Computing is eager to consider applications from women and minorities. Indiana University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. IUPUI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution M/F/D/V.