Travis Faas, M.S.
- Lecturer, Media Arts and Science
tfaasiupui [dot] edu
- M.S. Applied Computer Graphics, Purdue University (2010)
- B.S. Computer Graphics Technology, Purdue University (2008)
Travis Faas brings his experience working for an advertising company into the classroom, teaching students how to build interactive media experiences that combine technical mastery and an eye for artistry. He’s written several introductory texts on media applications development that have been used as resources in universities nationwide.
His classes range from introductory media applications development to game production and design theory. Faas, who earned his Master of Science in applied computer graphics from Purdue University, has contributed to award-winning educational games business plans (Burton D. Morgan Competition, 2008). His prior creative activity focused on mixed reality spaces, spatial ability, and creative coding.
Faas’ excellence in teaching has led to honors from two universities: IUPUI, for his work as a lecturer (2017), and Purdue University, for his work as a teaching assistant (2009).
He is pursuing a Ph.D. in human-computer interaction, with specific interest in the programming and game development communities of practice found on live streaming sites such as Twitch.tv.
- Communities of inquiry
- Knowledge representations, vocabulary, and data models that enable the sharing and reuse of information, and that allow information systems to validate user input
- Nursing Informatics; specifically, tasks analysis and conceptual design of information systems for health care providers and consumers
- Ontology in information science, using a wide variety of languages and notations
- NEWM N220 Introduction to Media Application Development
- NEWM N230 Introduction to Game Design and Development
- INFO I308 Information Representation
- NEWM N320 Intermediate Media Application Development
- NEWM N331 Game Testing and Evaluation
- NEWM N335 Character Modeling and Animation
- NEWM N337 Virtual World Design and Development
- January 21, 2021
Rock star informatics grad earns dream gig at Rockstar Games
- January 15, 2021
Creativity on display during Informatics’ virtual capstone event
- December 6, 2019
Mobile App UX Competition participants demonstrate their “drive” for solutions
- June 18, 2019
MAS game design and development student receives Best in Show award
- November 26, 2018
High school teams help get out the vote in fifth annual Mobile App Competition
- May 31, 2017
Faculty and students present work at 2017 CHI Conference
- April 6, 2015
Media Arts & Science Students and Faculty Go Behind the Scenes of Pixar During Trip to San Francisco
- October 28, 2014
Carmel High School Students Win First Prize in the Informatics App Challenge at IUPUI
- August 11, 2014
Summer Courses Provide 3 Dimensional View of Future for MAS Students
- August 6, 2013
School of Informatics and Computing Summer Workshop Series Wrap Up