Saptarshi Purkayastha, Ph.D.
- Director of Undergraduate Education and Research, Department of BioHealth Informatics
- Assistant Professor, Data Science, Health Informatics
Contactsaptpurkiupui [dot] edu
Saptarshi Purkayastha initiates innovative research that focuses on data in the field of health care. He has worked on and helped to implement projects around the world involving:
- National health information systems
- CAD applications
- Real time decision-making in robots
- GPGPU acceleration
- Distributed video encoding
- Educational technology for dyslexics.
Purkayastha currently is investigating methods for improving engagement in online education, by using guided inquiry learning in the study of health information management. He’s also assisting with a project that’s utilizing virtual reality technology to improve health care delivery for newborns in low- and middle-income nations.
On behalf of the World Health Organization, Purkayastha has served as a consultant to ministries of health in the South-East Asia Region for the implementation of health information systems. Countries that were part of this project included Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, and North Korea.
At IUPUI, the researchers he leads at the Purkayastha Laboratory for Health Innovation are working on projects in radiological information systems, biomedical data analysis, electronic medical records, and mobile and population health.
- Electronic health record (EHR) systems
- Mobile health information systems
- Health information interoperability
- Information infrastructures
INFO I501 Introduction to Informatics
INFO B513 Design, Implementation, and Evaluation of EHR Systems
INFO B530 Foundation of Health Informatics
INFO B581 Health Informatics Standards and Terminologies
INFO B585 Biomedical Analytics
- May 23, 2017
HCC grad student participating in Google Summer of Code
- January 27, 2017
School welcomes 12 new faculty members
- November 24, 2014
Health Informatics faculty and students to participate in Google Code-in