Kyle M. L. Jones, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor, Library and Information Science, Data Science
Contactkmljiupui [dot] edu
- Ph.D., School of Library and Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Madison (2015)
- MLIS, Graduate School of Library and Information Studies, Dominican University, River Forest, Illinois (2009)
- B.A. English Literature and Composition, Secondary Education, Elmhurst College, Illinois (2007)
Kyle M. L. Jones is an assistant professor in the Department of Library and Information Science at SOIC. From a social informatics perspective, he researches information policy issues related to big data practices and technologies, such as learning analytics, in educational contexts. His research is primarily focused on student privacy issues that emerge from mining sensitive, private student data and information, which is used by institutions to direct students’ interests, interpersonal relationships, and learning outcomes. His secondary research interest is focused on emerging educational technologies and their efficacy in library and information science (LIS) graduate programs and for LIS professional development.
Jones has been published in The Information Society, Education for Information, and the Journal of Education for Library and Information Science, among other journals, and in books. He is a regular presenter at the annual meeting of the Association for Library and Information Science Education (ALISE), as well as at other conferences. See his full CV on his website to read his scholarly history.
Before joining the department, Jones was a professional librarian. He worked at Elmhurst (Illinois) College’s library as an information technology specialist and at Darien (Connecticut) Library as a knowledge and learning services librarian. Additionally, he consults with individuals and organizations to help them build online social learning environments.
- Information policy issues related to data practices and technologies
- Student privacy issues
- Emerging educational technologies
LIS S511 Database Design
LIS S541 Information Policy