Angela Murillo, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor, Library and Information Science, Data Science
- Director, Applied Data and Information Science undergraduate program
apmurilliu [dot] edu
- Ph.D. Information and Library Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (2016)
- MLIS, University of Iowa (2010)
- B.A. Geosciences, English, Spanish, University of Iowa (2007)
We are all creators, producers, and consumers of data, notes Angela P. Murillo, an assistant professor at SOIC. “Analysis is everywhere—especially in the media—and critical thinking is necessary.”
Murillo has worked in industry, government agencies, and academia, and brings a “bigger picture” perspective to teaching and learning about data—one that reflects its social and ethical implications.
She has been a research and development information scientist at the global biotechnology company Novozymes, and held lecturing and research appointments at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and lecturing appointments at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. It was as a doctoral student at UNC that she assisted in developing the curriculum for a new program in information science there.
Her work has included helping to develop SOIC’s new Applied Data and Information Science undergraduate degree, in collaboration with the Library and Information Science and Human-Centered Computing departments. “Data fluency is foundational to making students more competitive, giving them skills and confidence in any context,” she says.
¡Hola! Mi nombre es Dr. Angela Murillo, soy Profesora Auxiliar en la Escuela de Informáticas y Computación. También soy la Directora para la carrera de Datos Aplicados y Ciencias de la Información. ¡Comuníquese conmigo si tiene preguntas!
- Data-related and STEM education
- Data science
- Scientific data
- Data cyberinfrastructures
- LIS S201 Foundations of Data Studies
- LIS S202 Data Organization and Representation
- LIS S301 Data Policy and Governance
- LIS S511 Database Design
- New developments in insulin therapy, and preserving a famous observatory’s data
- Researchers across the US will support NSF Major Facilities in their data lifecycle management efforts through new NSF-funded center of excellence
- Continuing Arecibo’s Legacy
- 5 faculty projects selected as SEIRI seed grant recipients
- August 9, 2021
Professor helping to preserve Arecibo telescope’s data legacy
- June 4, 2019
Applied Data and Information Science B.S. degree approved and open for enrollment
- February 8, 2018
Sports Analytics grad student, DJ McCall, excels on court and off
- October 19, 2017
Murillo to help develop major in applied data and information science