Associate Faculty in Informatics, Data Mining and Data Analytics
The Department of Human-Centered Computing, School of Informatics and Computing, seeks Associate Faculty to teach one or more sections of the INFO-I 223 Data Fluency or INFO-I 421 Applications of Data Mining courses. These undergraduate courses are offered in the fall and spring semesters. Depending on the enrollment, we may also offer the courses during summer sessions. Some sections of the courses are taught online; other sections are taught in person on the campus of IUPUI. At this time, we seek applications from individuals who will be able to physically teach the courses here on the IUPUI campus in downtown Indianapolis.
The Data Fluency course introduces fundamental skills for extracting from data actionable knowledge. Students create, munge, analyze, and visualize data to draw inferences and make predictions. The course uses real datasets from a variety of disciplines.
The Data Mining course explores the use of data mining techniques in different settings, including business and scientific domains. The course covers several basic learning algorithms, such as regression and decision trees, along with popular data types, implementation and execution, and analysis of results. The emphasis is on using existing techniques instead of developing new techniques or algorithms. Students will select, prepare, visualize, analyze, and present data that leads to the discovery of novel and actionable information.
- Prepare and deliver classroom lectures, assignments and projects over a 15-week semester
- Provide students with practical experience through hands-on practices
- Administer assessments of course learning outcomes, e.g., grading assignments, quizzes and exams
- Provide after-class support for students, e.g., holding office hours and responding to student inquires via voice calls or emails
- Encourage student progress and retention
- Deep commitment to student learning and success
- Master’s degree in a closely related field
- Teaching experience in college or technical training institutes
- Ability to teach classes online effectively
- Significant industry experience and solid technical knowledge in data mining techniques, applications, and tools and data analytics
- Excellent proficiency in Python (INFO-I 223) or R (INFO-I 421) programming
- Strong organizational, motivational, and communication skills
Please forward resumes and questions to email@example.com.
As the state’s premier urban research institution, IUPUI is committed to being a welcoming campus community that reflects and enacts the values of diversity, equity and inclusion that inform academic excellence. We seek candidates who will not only enhance our representational diversity but whose research, teaching, and community engagement efforts contribute to diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning and working environments for our students, staff, and faculty. IUPUI condemns racism in all its forms and has taken an anti-racist stance that moves beyond mere statements to interrogating its policies, procedures, and practices. We hope to identify individuals who will assist in our mission to dismantle racism so that everyone has the opportunity to succeed at IUPUI.
The School of Informatics and Computing is eager to consider applications from women and minorities. Indiana University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. IUPUI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution M/F/D/V.