Master of Library and Information Science / Master of Science Health Informatics Dual Degree
Designed for the student seeking a career in the field of health information management with opportunities in health sciences libraries, academia, information technology (IT), hospital management, hospital information systems, corporate research centers, and corporate IT.
The dual MLIS–M.S. in Health Informatics program requires completion of a minimum of 60 credit hours of graduate course work. Students must apply for admission to the master’s programs of both the Department of Library and Information Science and the Department of BioHealth Informatics within the first academic year and meet the admission criteria established for each. The two degrees must be awarded simultaneously.
Download a degree checklist.
Prerequisite (3 cr.)
Students must complete LIS S500 Methods and Tools for the Information Profession. This course is required the first semester for all MLIS
Required LIS Courses (18 cr.)
- LIS S501 Information Sources and Services
- LIS S502 Acquisitions and Management of Knowledge and Information
- LIS S503 Organization and Representation of Knowledge and Information
- LIS S506 Introduction to Research
- LIS S533 Online Searching
- LIS S653 Health Sciences Librarianship
Directed LIS Electives (Minimum 12 cr.)
- LIS S505 Evaluation of Information Sources and Services
- LIS S511 Database Design
- LIS S519 Evaluation of Information Systems
- LIS S574 Information Instruction
- LIS S575 Public Library Services
- LIS S644 Consumer Health Informatics
- LIS S622 Resources and Services for People with Disabilities
LIS Program Electives (Maximum 9 cr.)
- LIS S516 Human-Computer Interaction
- LIS S517 Web Programming
- LIS S523 Science and Technology Information
- LIS S532 Information Architecture for the Web
- LIS S541 Information Policy
- LIS S554 Library Systems
- LIS S556 Systems Analysis and Design
- LIS S605 Internship in Library and Information Science
- LIS S652 Advanced Resource Management
Health Informatics Requirements
Plus a minimum of 30 credit hours is required in the Department of BioHealth Informatics for the Master of Science degree.