Master of Science in Media Arts and Science
We can help you advance your career
We have one goal: your professional success.
When you’re ready to take the next step, the IU School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI can help.
Our Master of Science degree in Media Arts and Science provides in-depth interactions with working industry professionals. You provide the commitment.
The robust core curriculum encompasses:
- Digital media production/planning
- User-interface application design
- Exploratory research
- Your career focus and vision in your area of expertise
What you need to know
The real world
It’s where the most powerful learning occurs. Classroom learning is crucial, but we recognize and reward industry experience—whether you’re just starting out, or you’ve already established a career.
Your success = our mission
We’re dedicated to preparing and supporting our students as they advance in their professions. The centerpiece of our program is the practicum experience, based in the workplace. Working and learning with industry pros, you’ll focus on meeting business objectives.
You’ll complete a professional practice experience immersed in an industry context and guided by working professionals. This professional experience (whether we call it a practicum or an internship) is designed as your springboard to a meaningful career.
Where can your graduate degree take you?
Graduates of our program are working as:
- User experience designer, Walmart
- Instructional designer, USIC
- Game developer/instructor, Techability, Inc.
- Videographer, Resilience Racing
- Senior user experience researcher, Amazon
- Technology administrator, Salesforce
64%Employed, self-employed or interned with major (2019-20)
Our students engage with faculty in cutting-edge research and hands-on projects:
- Audio-driven immersive visualizations and environments
- Mental health stigma educational AR visualizations
- Augmented food menus with web AR technology
- Geotagging potholes in the city of Indianapolis
- 360 film for festival submissions
Online or face-to-face: a degree program for your life
Further your education with a program you can fit into your busy schedule.
- Our classes easily accommodate working professionals. You can customize a mix of online and in-person classes.
- Part-time students can take advantage of our flexible timetable for degree completion.
- Full-time students may complete the program in 18 months.
How it works
Our master’s in Media Arts and Science is a 30 credit-hour degree that you customize to meet your goals. Earn as many as 12 hours in your practicum.
For the remaining hours, students:
- Take a required core of four courses;
- Can pursue independent projects;
- Take at least two electives from the broad array of courses available in the School of Informatics and Computing, and potential offerings from other graduate programs at IUPUI.
President, Matchbox Creative
Graduate, Media Arts and Science master's program
This program is a life-changing experience. Once you have committed, look beyond the degree, coursework, and assignments. Ask, 'What is the true value that this program can bring you?'
Achieve your goals
Our master’s program in Media Arts and Science offers research and practicum opportunities, and is specifically aimed at students with independent ambition.
The master’s in Media Arts and Science emphasizes opportunity. Students must be free to seize the opportunities presented by emerging ideas, technologies, and markets that didn’t exist when they first entered college, and to design the learning experiences that lead to professional success. The choice is yours!