Master of Science in Media Arts and Science
Laser-focused on emerging technology design, development, and research
It’s time to take your passion to the next level.
Refine your skills by enrolling in our career-focused Media Arts and Science graduate program. Our project-based approach teaches students how to acquire the competencies needed to become successful professionals in the expanding digital media industry.
When you earn a Master of Science degree in Media Arts and Science from the IU School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI, you’ll set your sights on exploratory research that’s embedded in emerging technology. Our course of study is designed to build on your strengths in fields that focus on design and development with user interface and experience (UI/UX) research and immersive technologies such as augmented and virtual reality (AR/VR).
Our graduates work in fields including:
- 3D design and development
- Analyst programmer
- AR/VR/MR/XR developer
- Digital media production
- Game designer/developer
- Instructional designer
- IT administrator
- Media management
- Multimedia specialist
- University instructor (lecturer)
- UX architect
- UX/UI designer (both entry and senior levels)
- Web development (front and back end)
Specialize in new media
Media Arts and Science faculty and students collaborate with the School of Medicine to create AMPATH health education videos.
The MAS graduate program equips students with the skills to excel in many developing fields of industry. From advanced telepresence to emergent tech, as you explore the frontiers of UX design, AR/VR, and 3D you’ll advance your skills to harness the potential of evolving media.
Students work with highly respected faculty to research how interactive technology intersects with issues such as social justice, community memory, and accessibility.
Push the limits of interaction technology
Immerse yourself in interactive education, games and simulations for good, and 3D technologies. Develop research projects based in your specialty to advance trends in design, and enhance your career by documenting your accomplishments.
Our students excel in producing dynamic websites, smartphone apps, digital illustrations and animations, audio and video. They learn how to research issues and solve problems in agriculture, education, manufacturing, sports, health, and medicine.
You’ll learn and apply an understanding of the strategic design decisions, industry practices, and content production processes of complex, media-rich applications and interactive environments.
A project and career-focused program
Our 30-credit hour professional program emphasizes an applied industry-partnership approach that allows you to gain valuable experience and create a portfolio of impressive work. Current partners in SOIC’s Media Arts and Science graduate program:
Great opportunities … and expectations
In the Media Arts and Science graduate program, we expect you to achieve the highest level of expertise in your field, and to:
- Demonstrate mastery of the knowledge and the ability to apply associated technologies to novel and emerging problems.
- Present research to local, regional, national, and international audiences through publications in professional journals and conference papers given in a range of venues, from graduate seminars to professional meetings.
- Broaden your professional foundations through activities such as teaching, internships, fellowships, and grant applications.
Why study at SOIC?
The School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI provides myriad opportunities to utilize the skills you develop in real-world applications through research and collaborative projects.
- Access state-of-the-art facilities, including: the Media Arts Research and Learning Arcade, the Advanced Visualization Lab and a virtual reality theater.
- Collaborate with SOIC instructors pursuing groundbreaking research in 3D printing, AR/VR, serious game creation, and interactive media.
- Further your education with a program that fits into your busy schedule. Our evening classes easily accommodate working professionals. Part-time students can take advantage of our flexible timetable for degree completion. Full-time students may complete the program in up to two years.
Media arts and science careers
Our graduates design and develop projects that focus on entertainment, game design, mobile applications, video and audio production, animation, innovative web design and technologies.
Examples of alumni (graduates) employment companies and locations:
Asmodee Group Roseville, Minnesota
Digital communication Indianapolis
DMI (Digital Management, LLC) Indianapolis
E-Commerce content publisher Indianapolis
SalesForce – Equity Trust Company Cleveland, Ohio
Fusion Alliance Indianapolis
Intelligaia San Jose, California
Ivy Tech Community Indianapolis
JPMorgan Chase & Co. Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
LINE Corp. Taipei City, Taiwan
Multimedia specialist Indianapolis
Pudong International Talent City Shanghai, China
Purdue Polytechnic Institute Richmond, Indiana
Simon Property Group Indianapolis
Tetra Tech Ithaca, New York
Positions at these companies range from UX designers and 3D modelers to project managers and design leads.