Learning Outcomes for the B.S. in Health Information Management
Prerequisite or Evidence of Knowledge
- Pathophysiology and Pharmacology
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Medical Terminology
- Computer Concepts and Applications
- Math Statistics
Domain I. Data Governance, Content, and Structure
- Compare diverse stakeholder perspectives through the delivery of health care services.
- Analyze strategies for the management of information.
- Evaluate policies and strategies to achieve data integrity.
- Recommend compliance of health record content across the health system.
- Utilize classification systems, clinical vocabularies, and nomenclatures.
- Evaluate data dictionaries and data sets for compliance with governance standards.
Domain II. Information Protection: Access, Use, Disclosure, Privacy, and Security
- Recommend privacy strategies for health information.
- Recommend security strategies for health information.
- Analyze compliance requirements throughout the health information life cycle.
Domain III. Informatics, Analytics, and Data Use
- Examine health informatics concepts for the management of health information.
- Analyze technologies for health information management.
- Interpret statistics for health services.
- Examine health care findings with data visualizations.
- Compare research methodologies pertaining to health care.
- Manage data within a database management system.
- Identify standards for exchange of health information.
Domain IV. Revenue Cycle Management
- Evaluate assignment of diagnostic and procedural codes and groupings in accordance with official guidelines.
- Manage components of the revenue cycle.
- Evaluate compliance with regulatory requirements and reimbursement methodologies.
Domain V. Health Law & Compliance
- Comply with legal processes impacting health information.
- Evaluate compliance with external forces.
- Analyze components of risk management as related to a health organization.
- Analyze the impact of policy on health care.
Domain VI. Organizational Management & Leadership
- Facilitate fundamental leadership skills.
- Assess the impact of organizational change.
- Analyze human resource strategies for organizational best practices.
- Leverage data-driven performance improvement techniques for decision making.
- Verify financial management processes.
- Examine behaviors that embrace cultural diversity.
- Assess ethical standards of practice.
- Facilitate consumer engagement activities.
- Facilitate training needs for a healthcare organization.
- Compare project management methodologies to meet intended outcomes.