Applied Information Science/Data Studies Undergraduate Certificate
Expand your information skills
You know the path to discovery is lined with data … lots and lots of data.
Understanding how to classify and access data is the first step to retrieving information and discovering knowledge.
Learn to take a humanistic approach to big data and small. You can enhance your employment options and data literacy by earning an Applied Information Science/Data Studies certificate through the IU School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI.
Virtual Information Sessions
Are you ready to dive deeper? We will discuss the admission process, curriculum and format, financial aid, and Next Level Jobs Workforce Ready Grant eligibility.
All information sessions are on Zoom. Choose a date below to register.
Want to know more?
Our team is ready to answer any and all questions you may have, or help you schedule a visit. Fill out this form, click submit, and we’ll be in touch.
Tools for knowledge
Are you concentrating your studies in liberal arts, humanities, and social science? This certificate provides a convenient way for you to develop digital competencies.
You’ll not only learn to manage data, curate it for specific needs, and build database infrastructures, but also explore the social, ethical, and technical challenges of data organization and access in the Information Age.
Data drives decision-making
In your classes you’ll learn to organize and document the data we’re creating every day. You’ll understand the potential of massive data sets—as well as the legal, privacy, and surveillance issues that the evolution of data collection presents.
The certificate introduces data analysis and manipulation, data organization and access, data policy development, and how these practices relate to the creation and dissemination of data sets and related information.
You’ll study database design and perform management tasks that are part of today’s data life cycle, including backup and security. Develop the skills to build database infrastructures and curate data for specific needs.
Where can a certificate in applied information science take you?
Your course work allows you to acquire information science skills in real-world situations. Graduates can qualify for positions such as:
Certificate requirements (18 cr.)
- LIS-S 201 Foundations of Data Studies
- LIS-S 202 Data Organization and Representation
- LIS-S 301 Data Policy and Governance
- INFO-I 415 Introduction to Statistical Learning
- LIS-S 305 Data Curation and Management
- INFO-I 308 Information Representation
INFO I308 Information Representation may be replaced with a different course on relational databases, such as:
- CIT 21400 Introduction to Data Management
- CSCI-N 211 Introduction to Databases
- CSCI 44300 Database Systems
- HIM-M 200 Database Design for Health Information Management
Students must earn a C- or higher in each course and maintain a 2.0 GPA to graduate with the Data Studies certificate. All required courses are available online.
A Minor in Data Studies is also available. The minor has the same requirements as the certificate. Contact an undergraduate advisor if you have questions.
- Demonstrate the value of data in society and articulate the roles of data creators and consumers.
- Apply principles of representation and organization to provide access to resources in various information environments.
- Interpret stakeholder needs for databases and information layers using iterative and reflexive design processes.
- Identify the stages of the data curation process and the issues associated with the storage, preservation, and security of data.
- Analyze the implications of data policy creation, the concerns involved, and its communication to information organizations.
You can earn this as a stand-alone certificate, or as part of an undergraduate degree. To get started, you’ll need to be admitted to IUPUI as an undergraduate student.
This certificate is offered as an accelerated summer bootcamp and during the regular academic year.
Current IUPUI students
See your advisor.
New to IUPUI?
Apply for Spring 2023 by December 1: When applying, select ‘I want to earn a Certificate’ and ‘Spring 2023’ then ‘Applied Information Science (Online)’.