Applied Data Science Undergraduate Certificate
Unlock the keys to data-driven decision-making
You can learn to fulfill the potential of data by earning a certificate in applied data science through the IU School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI.
Businesses, organizations, and institutions need employees who can capitalize on the enormous amounts of information being generated each day. You’ll acquire the skills to organize and manage data through this program, jointly offered by the Library and Information Science and Human-Centered Computing departments.
Want to know more?
Our team is ready to answer any and all questions you may have, or help you schedule a visit. Fill out this form, click submit, and we’ll be in touch.
Making the data connections
Our interconnected world, bound by ubiquitous mobile devices and sensors, captures communications and interactions. Discover how these technologies—and the volume, variety, and velocity of the data they create—open opportunities to discover insightful correlations and predict outcomes.
You’ll learn to develop data-driven solutions, allowing us to better understand ourselves, our communities, and the global market. Unlocking the power of data enables us to run businesses more efficiently, make groundbreaking scientific discoveries, and promote the common good.
When you earn the applied data science certificate you will develop mathematical and technological skills to analyze data sets, leading to valuable knowledge. You’ll also learn about the societal implications of data work, including privacy and surveillance.
Help to meet the growing need for people with deep analytical skills who can make effective decisions. Careers for students with a certificate in Applied Data Science include:
Required Courses (24 cr.)
- LIS-S 202 Data Organization and Representation (3 cr.)
- MATH 15300 College Algebra (3 cr.)
- MATH 15400 Trigonometry (3 cr.)
- MATH 17100 Multidimensional Mathematics (3 cr.)
- INFO-I 415 Introduction to Statistical Learning (3 cr.)
Choose three from this list:
- INFO-I 418 Deep Learning Neural Networks (3 cr.)
- INFO-I 428 Web Mining (3 cr.)
- INFO-B 443 Natural Language Processing (3 cr.)
- NEWM-N 328 Visualizing Information (3 cr.)
- INFO-I 416 Cloud Computing for Data Science (3 cr.)
MATH 159 Precalculus (5 cr.) may be taken in place of MATH 153 and MATH 154.
Prerequisites (9 – 10 cr.)
The following mathematics, statistics, and programming courses must be completed before enrollment in INFO-I 415 and INFO-I 416:
Select one statistics course:
- ECON-E 270 Introduction to Statistical Theory in Economics and Business (3 cr.)
- PBHL-B 300 Introduction to Biostatistics (3 cr.)
- SPEA-K 300 Statistical Techniques (3 cr.)
- PBHL-B 302 Biostatistics for Informatics (3 cr.)
- STAT 30100 Elementary Statistical Methods 1 (3 cr.)
- STAT 35000 Introduction to Statistics (3 cr.)
Select one programming course:
- CIT 21500 Web Programming (3 cr.)
- CSCI 23000 Computing I (4 cr.)
- CSCI-A 201 Intro to Programming I
- INFO-I 210 Information Infrastructure I (4 cr.)
- INFO-B 210 Information Infrastructure I (4 cr.)
- NEWM-N 220 Introduction to Media Application Development (3 cr.)
Select one database course:
- CIT 21400 Introduction to Data Management (3 cr.)
- CSCI-N 211 Introduction to Databases (3 cr.)
- CSCI 44300 Database Systems (3 cr.)
- HIM-M 200 Database Design for Health Information Management (3 cr.)
- INFO-I 308 Information Representation (3 cr.)
Students must earn a C- or higher in each course and maintain a 2.0 GPA.
A Minor in Applied Data Science is also available. The minor has the same requirements as the certificate. Contact an undergraduate advisor if you have questions.
You can earn this as a stand-alone certificate, or as part of an undergraduate degree. To get started, you’ll need to be admitted to IUPUI as an undergraduate student.
Current IUPUI students
See your advisor.