NEWM-N 537 Virtual Worlds Design and Development
- Prerequisites: None
- Delivery: On-Campus
Students research factors influencing the design and implementation of online virtual worlds. They use their design knowledge and technical skills to create several small virtual world prototypes to explore potential uses of virtual worlds and effects of networked interaction on their inhabitants.
- Analyze a virtual world for motivational elements and engagement hooks.
- Create a demo build of a virtual world to be use on nontraditional devices.
- Critique implementations of multiplayer games.
- Recommend game systems and game elements to motivate different types of players.
- Rearrange elements of many different game examples to create a new working game.
- Compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantages of various world building techniques.
- Summarize findings from a prototyping session.
- Propose an intervention and measurement tool to help inform the design or modification of a virtual world.