LIS-S 530 Makerspaces as Learning Environments
Prerequisites: LIS-S 500 and LIS-S 501
This course covers makerspaces and making activities to support connected learning in both formal and informal learning settings. Resources, facilitation, and learning around communities and practices of making are examined. Students gain hands-on experience with digital and physical making toolkits and design and develop a makerspace-related learning environment.
- Analyze the historical roots of makerspace and constructionist learning.
- Use and analyze the current landscape of digital and physical making toolkits.
- Analyze and evaluate the learning practices and facilitation around different making toolkit(s) and activities.
- Analyze and evaluate the potential and the challenges of implementing making toolkits and activities to promote inquiry-driven learning and community engagement.
- Create a makerspace-related learning environment targeted at your information institution.
- Evaluate and re-iterate the design of your makerspace learning environment to promote inquiry-driven learning and community engagement.
This course is not being offered this semester.