INFO-B 543 Professional Practicum in Health Information Management I
- Prerequisites: INFO B505 Informatics Project Management, INFO B530 Foundations of Health Informatics
- Delivery: Arranged
- Verify that documentation in the health record supports the diagnosis and reflects the patient’s progress, clinical findings, and discharge status.
- Compile organization-wide health record documentation guidelines.
- Interpret health information standards.
- Format data to satisfy integration needs.
- Advocate information operability and information exchange.
- Analyze information needs of customers across the healthcare continuum.
- Manage clinical indices, databases, and registries.
- Validate data from secondary sources to include in the patient’s record, including personal health records.
- Identify laws and regulations applicable to healthcare.
- Analyze HIM principles in regard to court related matters.
- Analyze privacy, security, and confidentiality policies and procedures for internal and external use and exchange of health information.
- Recommend elements included in the design of audit trails and data quality monitoring programs.
- Identify the security and privacy implications of mobile health technologies.
- Develop and provide educational programs for employees in privacy, security, and confidentiality.
This course provides professional practice experience. Students complete the project-based practicum under the direction of the assigned site supervisor. The student develops a project and presentation for the site. The student conducts all necessary research and applies project management tools and skills in completing the project.
There is not a syllabus available for this course.