HIM-M 355 ICD-10-CM/PCS Coding
- Prerequisites: HIM-M 330, BIOL-N 211, and BIOL-N 207
- Delivery: On-Campus, Online
This course covers both diagnosis and procedure classification systems, namely the International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification and Procedure Coding System (ICD-10-CM/PCS). Students learn accurate coding guidelines to code, index, and sequence diagnoses and procedures for medical documentation. Ethical coding guidelines are examined.
- Evaluate the accuracy of diagnostic and procedural coding.
- Verify that documentation in the health record supports the diagnosis and reflects the patient’s progress, clinical findings, and discharge status.
- Compile organization-wide health record documentation guidelines.
- Interpret health information standards.
- Identify severity of illness and its impact on health care payment systems.
- Implement provider querying techniques to resolve coding discrepancies.
This course is not being offered this semester.