- HIM-M 345 Healthcare Law, Ethics, and Information Release
HIM-M 345 Healthcare Law, Ethics, and Information Release
This course covers legal and ethical concepts in medicine and healthcare as applied to physicians, healthcare workers, hospitals, and other institutions. It focuses on confidentiality and privacy in the release of information and the privacy and security of electronic healthcare transactions and code sets under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
- Identify laws and regulations applicable to healthcare.
- Analyze legal concepts and principles in the practice of health information management (HIM).
- Analyze HIM principles regarding court related matters.
- Analyze privacy, security, and confidentiality policies and procedures for internal and external use and exchange of health information.
- Recommend elements to include in the design of audit trails and data quality monitoring programs.
- Take part in the design and implementation of risk assessment, contingency planning, and data recovery procedures.
- Identify the security and privacy implications of mobile health technologies.
- Protect electronic health information through confidentiality and security measures, policies, and procedures.
- Develop and provide educational programs for employees in privacy, security, and confidentiality.
- Discuss privacy and components of Notice of Privacy Practices for a healthcare organization.
There is not a syllabus available for this course.