HIM-M 275 Effective Communication for the Healthcare Environment
This course develops communication skills to support effective interaction with internal and external customers in a health care environment. Emphasis is placed on professional communications with superiors, peers, and subordinates in all areas of health care. Topics include framing policy, HIM job descriptions, information technology, proposal requests, email and phone etiquette, and presentation skills.
- Take part in effective communication through project reports, business reports, and professional communications.
- Apply the key principles of communication.
- Identify effective communication styles for interacting with internal and external customers.
- Apply effective presentation skills.
- Take part in negotiating and use influencing skills.
- Create and implement staff orientation and training programs.
- Evaluate initial and ongoing training programs.
- Evaluate the culture of a department.
- Assess how cultural issues affect health, health care quality, cost, and health information management.
- Create programs and policies that support a culture of diversity.
This course is not being offered this semester.