HIM-M 275 Cultural Competence in Healthcare Communication
This course teaches communication skills for students to interact effectively with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds in healthcare and other environments. Students learn professional, culturally competent communication with clients, superiors, peers, and subordinates. Topics include framing policy, job descriptions, information technology, proposal requests, e-mail and phone etiquette, and presentation skills.
- Apply principles of cultural awareness while communicating effectively in project reports, business reports, presentations, and professional communications.
- Identify culturally competent communication styles for interacting effectively with internal and external clients.
- Understand culture and cultural differences as they relate to healthcare delivery, including cultural barriers limiting opportunities for patients and their families.
- Discuss historical perspectives on racism and prejudice as well as discrimination of women and minority groups.
- Evaluate the culture of a department.
- Assess how cultural issues affect health, healthcare quality, cost, and the management of health information.
- Create programs and policies that support a culture of diversity.
- Analyzing effective, culturally competent communication skills across multiple levels of leadership.
- Critique interpersonal communication skills.