Health Information Management and Exchange Graduate Certificate
Improve the delivery of health care by learning better ways to manage data. Through this program, you’ll increase your knowledge of how to facilitate the timely collection, management, retrieval, exchange, and analysis of electronic health information.
Upon successful completion of the program, participants will
- Achieve a fundamental level of understanding of secure biomedical information management and exchange
- Possess an advanced level of proficiency with respect to coding, classification, and medical terminologies
- Achieve an advanced level of proficiency with respect to data management, data quality, and data exchange.
- Be competitive for careers like “EHR Implementation Analyst” within healthcare and public health organizations
The Health Information Management and Exchange Specialist program is designed for post-baccalaureate graduates in health care degree programs who desire specialized training in information systems, storage, and retrieval.
Plan of Study
This 15 credit hour program includes five courses. All courses can be completed online. Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of a 3.00, with a grade of a B- or better in all individual coursework.
The Graduate Certificate in Informatics in Health Information Management and Exchange prepares you to collect, manage, retrieve, exchange, and analyze information in electronic form, in both health care and public health organizations:
- Understanding Technology and Methodologies for Processing Information in Health Care:
- Explain concepts of information and communication technologies
- Elaborate basic informatics terminology like data, information, knowledge, hardware, software, networks, information systems, information systems management and databases
- Implement standards and terminologies for documenting health events and exchanging protected health information
- Information Literacy for Health Care:
- Determine the nature and extent of the information needed to build effective health information exchange services
- Propose infrastructure needed for health information exchange effectively and efficiently
- Evaluate information and its sources critically and incorporates selected information into health information exchange services
- Evaluate outcomes of health information exchange services on health care outcomes
- Information Management:
- Verbalize the importance of health information exchange to health care outcomes
- Have knowledge of various types of health information exchange services
- Assure confidentiality of protected patient health information when using health information exchange
- Assure access control in the use of health information exchange
- Assure the security of health information exchange
- Possess the skills as outlined in supportive functions component of the HL7 model applicable to health information exchange
- Understand the principles upon which organizational and professional health information system for providers and consumers are based