Bioinformatics Ph.D. Minor
The Indiana University School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI offers a 12-credit Bioinformatics Ph.D. minor to graduate students with a background in biology, computer science, or another basic science. You’ll learn to solve practical biological problems and build a foundation in bioinformatics knowledge, methods, and techniques—valuable training for research in your field.
This degree examines topics including next generation sequencing (NGS), omics technologies, system biology, database management, data analytics, statistics, data mining, machine learning, and other translational bioinformatics.
Our expert faculty expose you to and prepare you for new career opportunities.
To be admitted to the Ph.D. Minor in Bioinformatics, students must be currently enrolled as a doctoral student in good academic standing in any IU or Purdue school at IUPUI. Students enrolled in other departments at the School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI are also welcome to apply.
How to apply
Students who would like to apply to the Ph.D. minor in Bioinformatics must submit via email to the Graduate Program Coordinator at email@example.com an application package (PDF) containing:
- A resume that specifies the IU or Purdue Ph.D. program in which the student is currently enrolled
- An IUPUI student ID
- A one-page personal statement
- A brief message from the primary advisor who approves the student’s request
Accepted students will be notified promptly.
Plan of study (12 cr.)
The Ph.D. Minor in Bioinformatics is a 12-credit hour program with four 3-credit-hour courses.
Required course (3 cr.)
Specialization courses (9 cr.)
Students will select three of the following courses.
- INFO-B 529 Machine Learning in Bioinformatics (3 cr.)
- INFO-B 556 Biological Database Management (3 cr.)
- INFO-B 573 Programming for Chem/Life Science (3 cr.)
- INFO-B 528 Computational Methods for Analyzing High-Throughput Biological Data (3 cr.)
- INFO-I 590 Next Generation Sequencing (3 cr.)
- INFO-B 619 Structural Bioinformatics (3 cr.)
- INFO-B 646 Computational System Biology (3 cr.)
- INFO-B 656 Translational Bioinformatics Applications (3 cr.)
- GRDM-G 848 Bioinformatics, Genomics, Proteomics and Systems Biology (2 cr.) + INFO B-552 Independent Study in Bioinformatics (1 cr.)
A minimum of B (3.0) is required in each course that is to count toward the minor. If a minimum of B (3.0) is not earned in a course, that course must be retaken. A course may only be retaken once. Students who fail to achieve the minimum grade of B (3.0) the second time they take a course will not be able to earn the Ph.D. minor.
The Ph.D. minor in Bioinformatics does not require a qualifying examination.