Mobile App Competition for Indiana High School Students
The Mobile App Competition is a one-day competition for Indiana high school students, who compete in teams for prizes by designing and building a mobile app based on assigned specifications under a tight deadline.
The Mobile App Competition is open to students with any level of expertise. Students will be designing and developing mobile applications to demonstrate their creativity, team building ability, and app development skills in a high-energy, fun, and motivating event hosted by the School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI and the Department of Human-Centered Computing.
The 2018 event
Teams of 2–3 high school students in grades 9–12 located within the state of Indiana. We also welcome high school technology classes to participate as a school.
Saturday, October 27, 2018
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Informatics and Communications Technology Complex
535 W. Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
There is no fee for registering and participating in the Mobile App Competition.
- A team will only consist of 2–3 participants.
- Teams must be registered by the registration due date.
- Teams will be given 8 hours to create an app.
- Application design specifications will be undisclosed until the day of the event to ensure that all teams start from the same point.
- No student can participate on more than one team.
- Judges will evaluate the apps for completeness, programming, creativity, and user experience.
- Teams can bring their own devices to showcase their app during presentation.
- Prizes are awarded per student.
- Scholarships and stipends are offered by the School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI.
- Trophies are awarded to the three winning teams’ high schools. The 1st place team’s high school receives the traveling Mobile App Competition perpetual trophy for their high school.
A $150 gift card
A one-time freshman scholarship package of $2,000
A $100 gift card
A one-time freshman scholarship package of $1,600
A $50 gift card
A one-time freshman scholarship package of $1,200
- The School of Informatics and Computing will provide computers that are set up with the basic programs and resources to develop a mobile app.
- Students are welcome to bring their own laptops if they prefer their own software solutions.
- For supervision purposes, an adult chaperone for each team is highly recommended (chaperones cannot assist with the competition).
- We are not responsible for your student at any point during the day of the event. In addition, there will be no supervision outside the ICTC Building.
- Lunch will not be provided. A list of dining options will be sent to each registrant as the event date nears.