Focused on impacting the future … centered on inclusion
Fostering an inclusive, tech-focused environment makes us stronger. The IU School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI draws on the strengths of a diverse community of students and faculty to enrich the educational experience, broaden participation in computing, and meet the needs of emerging technology.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion
SoIC is committed to actively recruiting and retaining students from all nationalities, backgrounds, and cultures to join the next generation of innovators. We welcome what students bring to our learning environment— socially, geographically, and in thought and experience. At IUPUI, more than one in four newly-admitted students identify as coming from a diverse background.
Make a pledge to foster a climate of inclusion
As a member of the School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI,
- I will work to ensure diversity among, inclusion for, and affirmation of every person associated with the school — including but not limited to people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, our international community, people of all or no religions, people with diverse abilities, and people who identify with other marginalized or underrepresented groups.
- I promise to consciously promote acceptance and demonstrate respect.
- I will dedicate myself to actively listen to each person’s story.
- I promise to recognize, learn from, and embrace commonalities and differences among identities and experiences.
- I will practice inclusive language and be open to learning.
- I will practice accessibility in technology design, its use, and its experience.
- I will be aware of my own biases against people who are different from me, and to hold myself accountable for my actions and words, even if it is uncomfortable.
- When it is safe, I will speak up about or report inappropriate behaviors.
- I will honor this commitment in my classes and workplace to foster an environment of inclusivity, safety, and engagement in our local and global community.
All are welcome
SOIC is working to attract a student body that reflects the global nature of technology today.
Bringing your true, authentic self to class—and to the workplace—lets you draw upon your unique talents and strengths, to design a product or solve a problem, and to make the world a better place.