LiFT Scholars Program
The Leading Informatics for Tomorrow (LiFT) Scholars program is a multi-institutional program offered at the Indiana University School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI and the Ivy Tech Community College on the Indianapolis campus.
Funded by the National Science Foundation, the program seeks to increase the quality and quantity of information technology (IT) professionals by offering scholarships academically talented, economically disadvantaged and underrepresented minority high school graduates.
Beginning in the fall of 2017, LiFT will support 20 students each year from the School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI who are pursuing bachelor’s degrees in informatics, and 20 students from Ivy Tech who are pursuing associate’s degrees in the School of Computing and Informatics.
When combined with other student and federal aid, renewable LiFT Scholarships allow students to complete their degrees in informatics with limited or no educational debt.
- All LiFT Scholars are eligible to receive an additional unmet-need scholarship award up to a maximum of $7,500 at IUPUI and $2,500 at Ivy Tech.
- This unmet-need scholarship is renewable for students who meet program requirements.
Students can pursue their college degrees in informatics at Ivy Tech or the School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI. LiFT Scholars from Ivy Tech in Indianapolis who are pursuing an associate’s degree in Informatics will have the opportunity to transfer to the School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI to pursue the B.S. in Informatics upon meeting admissions requirements.
In addition to participating in community building activities, LiFT Scholars will benefit from:
- Peer mentoring
- Faculty mentoring
- Cross-institutional industry mentoring
- Career and leadership development
- Participation in research and industry-based internship experiences
Students at IUPUI will also have the opportunity to live in a residence-based learning community in IUPUI campus housing with fellow LiFT Scholars and School of Informatics and Computing students.
The goal of the LiFT Scholars program is to prepare students to enter the informatics and Information Technology (IT) workforce upon graduation and/or to pursue graduate studies in informatics.
The LiFT Scholars program seeks to enhance scholars’ experiences through:
- Providing a sense of community with fellow informatics and computing students.
- Helping to build personal and professional networks.
- Fostering leadership and career development.
- Engaging in industry-based experiences.