Medical Coding Undergraduate Certificate
The Medical Coding Certificate is a 26-credit-hour program focusing on pathophysiology, pharmacology, coding, medical reimbursement and basic concepts of health information.
The curriculum includes a unique professional practicum component that integrates classroom instruction with applied, technical experience in an actual healthcare facility.
The program begins each fall. Courses may be taken part-time or full-time, and all courses may be completed via distance education (with the exception of the professional practicum).
Credit earned for the certificate may be applied toward a bachelor’s degree in Health Information Administration (application and acceptance into the HIA program required). Graduates are also eligible to seek the Certified Coding Associate (CCA) credential offered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
Admission and Requirements
Prospective students must first be admitted to IUPUI as an undergraduate student. You must also acquire knowledge of anatomy, physiology and database design through the completion of designated prerequisites with a minimum grade of C (2.0). Students must achieve a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 2.5 to begin courses.
Prerequisites (14-16 cr.)
- BIOL N261 Human Anatomy (5 cr.) and BIOL N217 Human Physiology (5 cr.)
- BIOL N212/213 Human Biology I (4 cr.) and BIOL N214/215 Human Biology II (4 cr.)
- HIA M110 Computer Concepts for Health Information (3 cr.)
- HIA M330 Medical Terminology (3 cr.)
*** BIOL-N 213 and BIOL-N 215 labs are optional
Required Courses (26 cr.)
- HIA M325 Healthcare Information Requirements and Standards (3 cr.)
- HIA M326 Lab for HIA M325 (1 cr.)
- HIA M350 Medical Science for Health Information I (3 cr.)
- HIA M355 ICD-9-CM Coding (3 cr.)
- HIA M356 Lab for HIA M355 (1 cr.)
- HIA M450 Medical Science for Health Information II (3 cr.)
- HIA M455 CPT Coding (3 cr.)
- HIA M456 Lab for HIA M455 (1 cr.)
- HIA M461 Release of Information (1 cr.)
- HIA M470 Healthcare Reimbursement Systems (3 cr.)
- HIA M457 Professional Practice in Medical Coding I (4 cr.)