Health Information Management Bachelor of Science
Health Information Management professionals serve as a bridge between clinical, operational, and administrative functions within the healthcare industry and directly affect the quality of patient care.
Widespread adoption of new technologies is fueling a critical need for specialized Health Information Management (HIM) professionals able to manage electronic health records, analyze health information, and ensure the privacy and security of patient data.
The HIM program incorporates medicine, management, finance, information technology, and law into one curriculum. Because of the course work diversity, HIM graduates can choose from a variety of work settings across an array of healthcare environments.
The Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management at IUPUI is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
Health & Life Science Campus
IUPUI, located in downtown Indianapolis, is the Health and Life Sciences campus for Indiana University. Plus, many hospitals and healthcare facilities are a short commute from campus.
Our program offers one-of-a-kind experiential learning that gives you a distinct advantage as you begin your career. Students will experience a project-based, mentored professional practicum within a variety of healthcare related settings.
Before you graduate, you’ll work with our Career Services Office to learn how to job search, pursue internship opportunities, and connect with employers.
- RHIA Exam Pass Rate for 2014: 100%
- Employer Satisfaction Rate for 2014: 100%
Credit by Credential
60 credit hours of credit-by-credential can be granted to enrolled students who have obtained:
- An Associate of Science in Health Information Technology or an Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Technology within the last 5 years at an institution accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management (CAHIIM)
- The Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) credential awarded by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
Careers in Health Information Management
What they do
- Revenue Cycle Auditing
- Data Analytics
- HIPAA Compliance Assessments
- Third-party Payer Recovery Auditing
- HIM Process Workflow
- Electronic Health Record Implementation
- ICD-10 Training
Where they work
- Clinical Coding Solutions
- Exact Target
- Franciscan Alliance
- IU Health
- St. Vincent Health
- Trust Healthcare Consulting Services, LLC
- Truven Health Analytics
- Business analyst
- Claims analyst
- Clinical case manager
- Clinical coding specialist
- Coding compliance manager
- College instructor
- Compliance auditor
- Compliance officer
- Data analyst
- Data quality manager
- Health data analyst
- Health information consultant
- Health information director
- Information security officer
- Medical records manager
- Patient information coordinator
- Physician practice manager
- Privacy officer
- Procurement specialist
- Systems integrator
To pursue a degree in Health Information Management, you must first apply and be accepted to IUPUI. You’ll then want to meet with an undergraduate advisor to review your plan of study. You can view the plan of study below or review our FAQs for more information.