Bioinformatics Ph.D. Minor
The purpose of the Ph.D. Minor in Bioinformatics is to lay a foundation in bioinformatics knowledge, methods, and techniques to solve practical biological problems for current Ph.D. students from other disciplines at IUPUI. This minor will assist graduate students with a background in biology, computer science, or another basic science to gain additional interdisciplinary training that is useful for research in their own discipline.
To be admitted to the Ph.D. minor in Bioinformatics, students must be currently enrolled as a doctoral student in good academic standing in any IU or Purdue school. Students in other departments of the School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI are also welcome to apply.
Students who would like to apply to the Ph.D. minor in Bioinformatics must submit via email to Elizabeth Cassell (firstname.lastname@example.org) an application package (PDF) containing a:
- Resume, including an indication of the IU or Purdue Ph.D. program in which the student is currently enrolled
- University student ID
- Personal statement (1 page)
- A brief message from the student’s primary advisor who approves the student’s request
Accepted students will be notified promptly.
Plan of Study (12 cr.)
The Ph.D. Minor in Bioinformatics is a 12-credit hour program comprised of four (4) courses, each of which is 3 credit hours.
Required Course (3 cr.)
Specialization Courses (9 cr.)
Select three of the following:
- INFO B529 Machine Learning in Bioinformatics (3 cr.)
- INFO B556 Biological Database Management (3 cr.)
- INFO B573 Programming for Chem/Life Science (3 cr.)
- INFO B528 Computational Methods for Analyzing High-Throughput Biological Data (3 cr.)
- INFO I590 Next Generation Sequencing (3 cr.)
- INFO B619 Structural Bioinformatics (3 cr.)
- INFO B646 Computational System Biology (3 cr.)
- INFO B656 Translational Bioinformatics Applications (3 cr.)
- GRDM G848 Bioinformatics, Genomics, Proteomics and Systems Biology (3 cr.)
Currently, most of the courses have online in addition to classroom sections; therefore, at the student’s discretion, the Ph.D. Minor coursework may be completed entirely online in a minimum of one and a half years. Please refer to the IUPUI Registrar website for the detailed schedule of courses.
A minimum of B (3.0) is required in each course that is to count toward the minor. If a minimum of B (3.0) is not earned in a course, that course must be retaken. A course may only be retaken once. Students who fail to achieve the minimum grade of B (3.0) the second time they take a course will not be able to earn the Ph.D. minor.
The Ph.D. minor in Bioinformatics does not require a Qualifying Exam.